Today...
People have
died
Christians
have been Martyred

Approximately 153,792 People Will Die Today
(468 of them will be Christian Martyrs)
The counter to the side is ticking off the number of people who have died since you opened this webpage. Jesus the Christ commanded his followers to share the Gospel with those who are perishing (Matthew 28:18-20; Luke 15:7) ... who do you know that you can share the Good News with today?

Click here for free Evangelism resources.

Friday, December 5, 2008

Saved from What?

I took a co-worker to lunch because of my concerns with his understanding what it means to being an Christian. As I asked him questions I was amazed by his answers. Here sat a person over 40 years old

Who does NOT believe:
  • Jesus was born of a virgin
  • Jesus is the son of God
  • That Jesus rose from the dead
  • That Jesus ascend into Heaven
  • That there is a After life
  • The Bible is Gods word

Yet, he claims to be a Christian. I will not go into all the things he does believe in, but I did ask him why does he believe himself to be a Christian? He said because he said the prayer once asking Jesus to be his lord and savior. I immediately asked "Savior from what?" He looked puzzle and said "Good question! I never thought about it."

I would imagine millions have repeated those words which some have labeled "The Sinners Prayer". And unless God is stirring their hearts and minds they are as lost as they were the day before they said that so called prayer. I am I judging them? No, God has through this word and He will do the final judgement. Is there hope for them? Absolutely! Right up till the point where death comes there is hope. I would guess most have never given much thought to the ideas of Lord and Savior. I will write about Lordship soon, but for now I wish to center on the topic "Saved from what?"

In the last blog I wrote about being lost, but what does it mean to be saved? Does it mean saved from being thrown into the Lake of Fire? Yes, but much more! We should never run to God just because do not want eternal punishment. Should that punishment scare us? Yes it should! But we come to running to God for who He is! He is the creator of ALL things. Provider of every heart beat, every breath I take. When I rebel and step upon His authority and His protection, does He immediately lash back? Most of time the answer is no. His grace and mercy extends beyond love that I can grasp. I can way too easily mistakenly His take His silence as approval or deceive myself to think I got away with it. That is exactly what I did when I was lost. How has that changed, now being saved? God pricks my heart. Awakening me to my wrong. What is my response? Repentance, restitution (if possible) and asking forgiveness.

You see we are saved from the very power of sin. Disciples of Christ call is being "Born Again." It means we were literally dead in our sins and now we are alive with a new and different nature. That does not mean we do not sin. For we still battle the flesh. But now we are also empowered to do what is right, not of our own strength, but of Gods strength. It does mean we do not dive into it nor desire it. This new nature hates sin. How could we desire sin which is exactly what caused Jesus the Christ to bear such pain and suffering. Where it should have been me, instead of Him. If I can desire sin with no remorse, then I either do not understand the price that was paid or I do not understand my sin before God. Either would be reasonable to double one salvation.

Some might say that they know of people who honestly are good people. Sorry when they do wrong and try to do what is right. They might even say these "good people" are not Christians nor do they believe in God. So, how can I explain these "good people" acting good without God. Very simply, God as written onto the hearts of everyone His law. Some label this as the Conscience. Con meaning "With" and Science meaning "Knowledge". So Conscience means with-knowledge. This conscience is one way God leads us to Him. God looks at the motive of the heart. A person who does good for goodness sake has their reward already from others and is counted worthless before God. A person who does good out of obedience and love to God gives God the credit it is counted as righteous.

So, I am saved from the absolute power of sin. I am given new life from death, love God places in our hearts, wisdom of our sin, purpose to give God the glory always and be joyful with God. Oh yeah, a great side benefit - Heaven not the Lake of Fire. Sounds great, and it is, but that does not mean everything is Rosy. Actually just the opposite. Decisions are based on what God wants and desires instead of my own desires. Jesus said that world hated Him and they will hate us. The more you grow in the likeness of Christ the more they will hate you. They do not hate you as much as they hate seeing their own sin when they even think of you. What am I saved from? Myself and all that I was before God saved me. To Him be the glory!

No comments:

 
Click on Picture for a short yet important message (you should pause the music first)
Click to watch

Click to watch